Blueberry Crumb Pie, made with a homemade buttery crust, fresh blueberries, and an almond crumble topping, is the best homemade fruit dessert you can make!
Everything about this Blueberry Crumb Pie will make you drool. The homemade crust is flaky and chewy. The fresh blueberries are tart and juicy. The crumb topping is sweet and crunchy. Are you drooling yet?
Blueberry Crumb Pie is what my summer cravings are all about.
This summer I picked more blueberries than I knew what to do with from my very own backyard.
I'll be sure to write a post and make a video about how I prune my blueberry bushes during the winter. I admit, I didn't really know what I was doing... but I did something right!
Why this is the best blueberry crumb pie:
This blueberry pie recipe must be broken down into it's three equal parts to get a full understanding of why it is so amazing.
- The crust. Now that I feel like I've perfected my technique, I will never again buy a premade pie crust. Never ever. The taste, quality, and texture of a homemade butter pie crust just can't be beat. This time I did something different and used half goat cheese, half butter. Not just any goat cheese, mind you. Susan, the lady who sold me my goats, the city librarian, and an endless source of goat knowledge, made this cheese. How homestead-y is that?
- The blueberries. Okay, when you grow your own, they always taste better. But there's just something wonderful about a fresh, in season, juicy, sweet, tart, dark blueberry. I toss them with lemon juice, sugar, and tapioca flour. You can use any kind of thickener. The secret to getting a juicy blueberry pie is to mash some of the filling before you set it in the pie crust.
- The topping. There's something magical about the combination of sugar, flour and butter. Throw some slivered almonds into the mix and you have just the right amount of crunch to take it over the top!
Can you make this blueberry crumb pie with frozen blueberries?
Sure can. I would just recommend thawing the berries prior to cooking the pie. Otherwise your bottom crust will never fully cook and your topping will burn.
How long do you cook blueberry crumb pie?
When I bake pies, I almost always bake them at a high temperature for 15 minutes before I reduce the oven temperature and continue cooking.
This particular blueberry crumb pie recipe takes 15 minutes at the high heat and another 40 minutes at the lower heat.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour chilled
- ½ cup unsalted butter chilled, alternatively can use 4 oz butter and 4 oz goat cheese
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon water ice cold, more if needed
- 1 tablespoon vodka ice cold, more if needed
- 5 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- 4 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup slivered almonds
To make the crust:
- Use a pastry blender or food processor to combine flour, butter and salt until the butter is in pea sized chunks. Add water and vodka in 1 tablespoon increments until dough is just moist enough to hold together. Shape into a disk, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least an hour.
- Once dough has chilled, roll out on a heavily floured surface until it's large enough to line a 9-inch pie pan with some overage.
To make the filling:
- Combine all filling ingredients in large bowl. Use a masher to partially mash some of the blueberries so that their juice combines with the sugar and tapioca flour during the cooking process.
- Add filling to pie shell.
To make the crumb topping:
- Combine all ingredients except almonds in medium sized bowl. Once combined, add almonds and gently mix together. Crumble over to of pie.
- Cut off any excess dough and shape edges between finger tips.
- Use pie shield or aluminum foil around edge of crust to prevent over browning. Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 15 minutes. Without opening oven, reduce heat to 350 degrees F and continue cooking for an additional 40 minutes. Remove pie shield during last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Allow to fully cool before slicing.
Of course, there is no way not to! Fantastic crumb pie full of my favorite blueberries. I've got to try it as soon as possible now! 🙂
How good does this look!!! The blueberries come across as so tasty and appealing. This would be the perfect dessert anytime but especially in the cooler months. Thanks for sharing!!
Oh wow - this looks incredible. Loving how many blueberries you have packed in to it!
I love blueberry pie! Looks so delicious and would be perfect with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side.
I love everything about this pie. Turned out amazing.
YUM!! Such a fantastic pie!! I love the crumb topping!!!
I cannot wait to go blueberry picking, this is the first recipe I will make!
We are in love with this pie. So flavorful, couldn’t stop at just one slice.
What a delicious, fresh looking dessert - perfect for using up those summer time berries!!